Monday 10 December 2012

The Next Big Thing... or not, whatever man

Sir Alec of McQuay linked me in this, and so I shall endeavour to continue, albeit with a little difference.

What is the working title of your book?

At the moment, it is 'Spirit Warriors Saga: Book One'. A tad assumptive, I know, but In the process of writing I realised that If I had included the entire story that I wanted to write, it was going to be a rather large tome, so cut it into managable book-size chunks.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I guess the idea for this book came out of a love of fantasy and dragons. I decided to participate in this years NaNoWriMo, and felt that the first thing I attempted to properly write should be of a genre I know pretty well. Therefore, I went with fantasy. The rest kind of just fell into place along the way...

What genre does your book fall under?

Fantasy, can't you read? Seriously though, maybe High Fantasy, if we're being technical. There's not a lot of high fantasy that's really grabbed the market at the moment, nothing major has been released and taken hold that I've noticed since Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle finished.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

This one, I couldn't possibly speculate. My characters are very much themselves, and in a movie renditon I'd have to let the director decide who best to represent who. Though I can definitely see Tom Hiddleston playing the part of the Necromancer. He has that crazy-face down to a tee.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

When Will and his friends are sucked into another universe, they find themselves in the warpath of an evil Necromancer - can they survive his wrath and find a way back home?

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Well, I've seen several publishers that are open to novel-length submissions at the moment, so I aim to get it submitted to them as soon as possible. Ideally, I'd get a contract with them for the book (hopefully for both/all three of the books), but if that fails who knows. I may look into self-publishing.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

  27 days exactly. I averaged 2,318 words a day throughout the month of November, and managed to finish off the manuscript at a fair 69,544 words. Of course this number will increase as I get further through the rewrite/editing process.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Narnia, for the sheer fact that young people get sucked into another dimension and thrown into a conflict there. It has a large range of fantasy creatures involved in it, and more to come in the subsequent novels, so maybe a piece of Tolkein's Middle Earth stuff too - he has a diverse range of races also.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

NaNoWriMo got me thinking of doing it, but when push came to shove it was my dear other half, Katie Wright, that pushed me on throughout the month of writing to get it done and finished. Thanks should also go to my university friends, who asked me almost every single day how it was going, and to Alec McQuay (mentioned above) and Abhinav Jain, both of whom encouraged me throughout the process.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

I think the characters are well-rounded and interesting, and there's certainly a lot left to be answered where the book ends, hell even when the book begins, so I'd hope that they would be drawn in by the originality of the story.


Now for the slight deviance from Alec's - unfortunately I don't have as many friends that are writing novels, aside from Connor Edwards - you should definitely check his stuff out. So there's just that one link I am afraid! Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment